ROCK Pi S > Getting started
This guide is designed for ROCK Pi S enthusiast. The purpose is to learn about the ROCK Pi S board as well as how to prepare and set up for basic use. We will introduce the board information as much as possible.
What you need
- ROCK Pi S main board
- One of the Storage media below:
- μSD card, larger than 8GB.
- Power supply
- The ROCK Pi S is powered by Type-C port.
- The power input voltage is DC 5V.
- USB to TTL serial cable
- This is needed for serial console.
- μSD Card Reader
- For flashing the image into μSD Card or eMMC Module.
- USB type C to type A cable
- This is needed for fastboot/adb commands.
- Ethernet cable
- ROCK Pi S supports Internet access via WIFI or Ethernet.
- An Ethernet cable is used to connect your ROCK Pi S to a local network and the Internet.
Close look of ROCK Pi S
- ROCK Pi S front view
- ROCK Pi S front with an angle view
- ROCK Pi S back view
|Model||ROCK Pi S|
|Processor|| SoC RK3308 |
Quad Cortex-A35 ARM 64bits processor
frequency up to 1.3GHz
|Memory||256MB or 512MB DDR3|
|Storage||MicroSD(TF), optional on board 1/2/4/8Gb NAND flash|
|Wireless|| 802.11 b/g/n wifi |
|USB|| USB2.0 Type-A HOST x1 |
USB3.0 Type-C OTG x1
|Key|| maskrom x1 |
|Ethernet||100MB ethernet, optional PoE(additional HAT requried)|
|IO|| 26-pin expansion header |
5V DC power in x2
3.3V DC power in x2
|Power||USB Type-C DC 5V|
Starting the board for the first time
ROCK Pi S can be started with μSD Card.
- When start system with μSD Card
Insert the μSD Card into μSD Card Reader, which connects to host computer.
- Download the flash tool, etcher, from Downloads. Choose the right version for your host operation system. Here we operate on host Ubuntu 16.04.
- After unpacking the package, we run the tool by executing the command
If you get an error message: "No polkit authentication agent found" you can try and start it with sudo, but do know that this is running the tool as root.
- In the etcher window, click Select image.
- In the etcher window, click Select Drive.
- In the etcher window, click Flash.
- In the etcher window, once it shows us Flash Complete! It is done and can be put into the ROCK Pi S.
- Now insert system storage media into the socket on board.
(Todo: add picture)
- Use a USB to TTL serial cable to make a connection between your PC and ROCK Pi S. See Serial Console
- Use ssh to access ROCK Pi S. See Using SSH .
- Power on ROCK Pi S. The system runs with the green power led on..
Wish you good luck!