This page describe how to download and install the GPT image on an eMMC module and boot on ROCK Pi 4. You need at least the following.
- an eMMC module, you can buy it from radxa distributor, the eMMC module from Odroid or PINE64 also works on ROCK Pi 4.
- an eMMC to microSD breakout board
- a PC/laptop running Windows or Linux or MacOS
You also need the following to run on ROCK Pi 4
- ROCK Pi 4 board with power supply
- HDMI cable for display
- USB keyboard and mouse for input
Etcher in Linux/Windows
Etcher is the tool we use to write image. Download the right Etcher for your PC from Rockpi4/downloads page and install it.
Check [Etcher website] for more info about Etcher.
Step1: Download necessary tools and image
Choose the image you want to install may be from Rockpi4/downloads page and unzip it. The unzipped image name is like below:
We will use it for the writing.
Step2: Write the image to eMMC module
1. Insert the eMMC to microSD/USB breakout board, which connects to host computer.
2. Run the application, for example, by executing the command on Ubuntu 16.04:
$ /bin/bash etcher-etcher-electron-1.4.5-x86_64.AppImage
3. In the etcher window, we click button Select image.
4. In the etcher window, we click button Select Drive.
5. In the etcher window, we click button Flash.
6. In the etcher window, it shows us Flash Complete!
Done! Now you have successfully installed the OS image on eMMC module.
Here's an easy way to do it on Linux
radxa$ sudo chmod 777 /dev/<Your eMMC module device>* radxa$ umount /dev/<Your eMMC module device>* radxa$ dd if=rockdev/Image/rockpi-4b-*-gpt.img of=/dev/<Your eMMC module device> bs=4M status=progress radxa$ sync